During the past month, I mainly concentrated on combining my CurrentMonitor with a DIY MPPT charge controller. Work is done at the CurrentMonitor repository.
My design goals for the MPPT charge controller are:
- 10A (sufficient to cover 250W panels)
- MPPT charge controller acts as an I²C slave
- It can be configured via I²C
- Values like power consumption or power harvested can be queried via I²C as well
- The MPPT doesn’t have a user interface or LCD by default
- Uses APR/ATC/ATO blade fuses instead of solar fuses due to the reduced cost (and regular glass fuse holders only are widely available up to 6.3A)
- +12V Output can be disconnected via software
- Additional +3.3V 800mA output which also can be disconnected via software
Below is a picture of the prototype, which is likely to heavily change.